[Chicago] Python On Lisp: A project to call Python code from Lisp

Robare, Phil PRobare at chx.com
Fri Feb 3 00:06:54 CET 2006

I just stumbled across this project at
http://common-lisp.net/project/python-on-lisp/
And thought it may be of interest to some on this list.

Their idea is to embed a Python interpreter within Lisp and allow Python
to call back to Lisp by eval'ing a Lisp string.  They state are in an
early alpha mode (no code or executable published yet).

I guess I am wondering why, if someone knows Python well enough, would
they opt for Lisp.  We have forty years of language design behind us
since the original language was published.  In my experience algorithms
in lisp are almost as opaque as those in Perl.  The macro facility in
Lisp is probably more straight-forward than doing something similar in
Python - but that may be my lack of breadth in Python.  Certainly
dealing with a complex graph data structure in Python is much easier
IMHO.  And the OO constructs in Lisp are near to the limit of a human's
ability to deal with complexity.

If I want to go on in this way I should probably blog it instead of
spamming all of you with my opinions.  But I would be interested in your
takes on this project.

Phil Robare
Consultant
Chicago Stock Exchange