[Chicago] SCons, the Python-based alternative to GNU Make

Atul Varma varmaa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 16:58:48 CET 2006

Hey everyone,

At my company, we recently discovered a tool called "SCons", which is
a Python-based replacement for tools like GNU Make:

  http://www.scons.org/

So far everyone at work is in love with this package; constructing our
build system is now as much fun as coding in Python now because, well,
SCons lets us use Python to create our build system instead of a
clunky shell-scripting mutant language (Make) or any of the
alternatives we've seen so far, like Ant.

Anyhow, not sure if this is "old hat" in the Python community or not,
but if it isn't, I just wanted to pass the word along--and if anyone's
interested, I'd be happy to give a presentation on it at a future
ChiPy meeting.

- Atul