[Chicago] Python classes

Atul Varma varmaa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:06:14 CET 2006

Hi Larry,

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Python classes either, but
I would recommend the book "Practical Python" by Magnus Lie Hetland:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590590066/sr=8-1/qid=1141142145/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4364449-1324043?%5Fencoding=UTF8

This book is intended for people with no programming background, has a
great sense of humor, and the part I like most is that after he spends
about 100-150 pages teaching you the language, he then presents you
with a bunch of fun "mini-projects" that you can select from in
whatever order you like, including a peer-to-peer file sharing
program, a video game, and a lot more.  Hetland also wrote one of the
online tutorials that Tim mentioned in his last email, which is very
well-written.

You may also be interested in just doing one of the online web
tutorials and then jumping into a particular area that you and your
son are interested in.  For instance, if your son is interested in
video game development, you may want to check out pygame
(www.pygame.org), which comes with a number of tutorials intended for
beginning programmers.

Good luck!

- Atul