[Chicago] Fwd: O'Reilly Gives Early Access to Cutting-Edge Technology

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Tue Jan 24 19:39:14 CET 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 06:49:11AM -0600, Chris McAvoy forwarded:
> O'Reilly's Safari Books Online has just announced a new service called
> Rough Cuts that gives you early access to content on cutting-edge
> technologies months before it's published. Rough Cuts allows you to

AKA "pay extra to read the unedited manuscript".  Not really new,
except for being marketed through Safari.  I think I first saw this
done for some of the Pragmatic Guys topically focused books (1).  Baen
Books has had partial access to non-final manuscripts for a couple
years as part of their downloadable e-book program (2); more recently,
they've been offerring early looks at complete, unedited manuscripts as
a separate product.  Refreshingly, Baen's marketing has been pretty
forthright about how this is bascially soaking those who are so hot to
see the latest (these are usually titles in established series) that
they'll pay extra.  Quite a lot extra, IIRC (they don't have any of
these "advance reader" titles on offer just now).

(1) http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/starter_kit/faqs/beta_faq.html
(2) http://www.webscription.net/

--
We found that we were making mistakes due to the complexity.  Then we
wrote scripts to write the configs for us, and using these scripts, we