[Chicago] Chicago Python User Group: Thurs. July 13, 2006 7pm.

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jul 12 17:41:25 CEST 2006

Chris McAvoy wrote:

>>>I'm not comparing anything to anything.  I'm showing something to some people.
>>>
>>>Dangit.
>>
>>More reason to have a Dynamic Languages Users Group, eh?  Or maybe a
>>Pragmatic Programmers Users Group...
>

> I really like this idea.  A handful of us have talked about it off and
> on.  I'm a committed polyglot.  I think specific language groups are
> good thing for advocacy and focused learning, but I'm getting tired of
> 2 or more meetings per month.

I dunno... when there's something novel and interesting in another
language, or something novel and interesting implemented in any
language, that's interesting.  But there's also a lot of plumbing that's
interesting only in the right domain; learning about, say, PHP XML
processing would bore me to death.

DemoCamp seems like an interesting idea (http://barcamp.org/DemoCamp).
Or for something more programmery (and less startupy), a lightning talk
format.  5-10 minutes of PHP XML processing would only bore me slightly,
and I can tolerate that.

   Ian