[Chicago] python intro for 13 yo -- suggestions?

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 21:06:25 CEST 2006

Yes! Exactly! That's the environment we need.

However, the question is whether the browser buys you enough to be
worth the hassle.

See, I'd like to expose some subset of Python to the user, not some
subset of Javascript. SImple code generation tricks may suffice here.
This means the environment has Javascript (in that Ajaxy way) but at
least the beginner

My intended audience is not the same as the intended audience most
edupython projects are aimed at. Javascript is not a platform for
science. I have curriculum other than programming that I want to
deliver, using modest amounts of programming as a medium of expression
and a tool.

I could do this with code generation, I suppose, but that's an extra
layer of complexity. Also, I'm not a full-time programmer and I
already have to cope with three languages on a regular basis, so as a
developer of content, learning enough Javascript is a serious hurdle
for me and other science and engineering educators.

So what does targetting the browser as the user platform buy me, given
that my desire is, at least in part, not so much to teach programming
concepts as to teach something else and use Python.

mt