[Chicago] HyperCard @ BarCamp or TECHcoffee? [used to be about some "13 yo"]

Jason R Huggins JRHuggins at thoughtworks.COM
Thu Jul 13 15:19:54 CEST 2006

Ian Bicking wrote on 07/12/2006 07:39:45 PM:
> I'm feeling a real itch to try out this DOM-based HyperCard environment.

>   Anyone want to hack on that?  I feel like it's at the right stage for
> wild experimentation, rather than thoughtful and well-planned
> implementation.

Yes! Though I can't do BarCamp this weekend. :-(

Hey, if the interest is there, I don't mind if TECHcoffee (every Monday
morning at 6 a.m.!) becomes a "HyperCard in the DOM" sprint/hackfest each
week. In case it can't get written in one day via BarCamp, having a weekly
sprint at TECHcoffee might move things along quite nicely. :-)

I think a good starting point is trying to create a "mash up" of
[GTDTiddlyWiki][1] and [Canvas Painter][2], with the goal of creating
something that looks like [this][3], but more "web-2.0-ish" (aka "rounded
corners"), of course. :-)

[1]: http://shared.snapgrid.com/index.html
[2]: http://caimansys.com/painter/
[3]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hypercard.png

And if you're interested in recreating the HyperTalk language, too, here's
some light reading:

* http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pane/thesis/
* http://www.sensetalk.com/st/index.html
* http://www.redstonesoftware.com/Documentation/SenseTalk%20Reference.pdf
* http://www.jaedworks.com/hypercard/scripts/hypertalk-bnf.html
* http://mail.python.org/pipermail/chicago/2006-May/000784.html

- Jason "a demagogue for hypercard" Huggins

P.S. Factoid: Did you know the 'index pointer cursor' used in all web
browsers when you hover over links is taken directly from HyperCard. :-)