[Chicago] meeting this month

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jun 5 20:29:37 CEST 2006

Peter Harkins wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 09:28:18PM -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>>So, group, where will it be and what will we be doing?
>

> I can give a ~25 minute talk on how I used the Python Image Library to
> rip the Unicode glyphs to create wall-sized ascii-art (well,
> Unicode-art) images. It'd be geeky fun and cover the basics of PIL. This
> can optionally include ~10 minutes on what Unicode is, how it works, why
> you're a bad person for not knowing it, and a bit on Unicode in Python.
>
> I'd need to borrow a laptop with 1G of RAM, ~100M of disk, and either
> GIMP or Photoshop installed (big images crash little editors). I
> wouldn't need Internet access.
>
> I got one or two nibbles in #chipy when I mentioned this, does it sound
> interesting to folks?

I'd be interested.  I actually have been wanting to do a similar project
for some time, splitting an image into tiled 6x4 images and then having
them printed as glossy photos.  It should come to less than $1/sqft for
arbitrarily large art.  Not counting the mounting.

I figure it means splitting the images, then blowing them up
individually, then applying some kind of filters.  I'm not sure what
yet; pixelized might look okay, but jpeg artifacts don't look okay.
Maybe with the right blurring.  It would require experimentation.
Theoretically some filters should be applied over a set of neighbors to
avoid too much dissonance between photo edges.

I however do not have such a laptop to lend you.