[Chicago] Fw: Idea: weekly Chicago coding sprints? - Scouting report results

Jason R Huggins JRHuggins at thoughtworks.COM
Tue Jun 13 08:52:59 CEST 2006

chicago-bounces at python.org wrote on 06/12/2006 12:07:08 PM:

> How'd the scouting go?

I updated the techcoffee.infogami.com site with the report:
http://techcoffee.infogami.com/blog/

the La Salle / Lake "coffee corridor"... I've decided the first TECHcoffee
sprint will be at Caribou Coffee. (Northwest corner La Salle/Lake)

The main reasons are:
* Opens at 5:30 a.m.
* Caribou has the cheapest wifi day passes in that area ($4 for 2 hours).
Not free, but close enough.
* Nice "cozy" setting
* La Salle / Lake is the probably the most convenient spot. All El trains
intersect there. (Not so convenient if you travel in/out of Ogilvie or
Union Station, but heh, blame the city planners, not me. ;-)

Personal thoughts on the day/time:
Yes, waking up that early is pretty freakin hard to do. (I did not want to
get out of bed). (And even then, I was even an hour "late"-- didn't get
downtown until 7.) But I think it's worth it to get the day going that
early. An extra bonus is the time I had to work on the train, coming in
this early... I can actually get a seat on the El and use my laptop.

Other thoughts:
I'm thinking that for starters, people should consider this a "Summer
thing" only for now... If we only be do TECHcoffees until Labor Day, it
might make it easier to commit to, since it's not a "forever" thing.

On that note, see you next week at Caribou if you want to work on Django
(or some other OSS that interests you)!

-Jason