[Chicago] Powerpoint alternative?

Jason R Huggins JRHuggins at thoughtworks.COM
Tue Jun 13 19:22:19 CEST 2006

Ray Hernandez wrote:
> > Probably S5.
> > http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

> Nothing like using nifty web technologies for a presentation about....
> Lotus Notes.

Yeah, I used S5, it's pretty good. Here's a sample S5 presentation I gave
at FOSDEM'06 for my talk on Selenium:

It's nice that out of the all the "Web 2.0" apps out there trying to
supplant bits of MS Office, S5 is the one that's free and open source.

Of course, it would be a nice experiment use Selenium to test s5 itself.

One big tip that will help you when using s5: You edit in a text editor,
but to see changes in the browser, you have to reload the page in the
browser. (I'm sure there's some snazzy Rails/Ajax app that does this for
you already... If not, there should be.)

But when you reload, you get sent back to the first page of your
presentation. So, to fix this... if your presentation is loaded here:

Then, when you're working on the text of slide #7, instead of reloading
the above URL and clicking "next" 6 times to view it... load this URL

It'll jump straight to slide #7.

I didn't know about this trick until way after the fact... Without knowing
that trick, the editing/viewing cycle for slide #43 was quite annoying.