[Chicago] Programming for Newbies with Python

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 18:55:06 CET 2006

Pass this around!

mt
--------------------------

PROGRAMMING FOR NEWBIES WITH PYTHON

The Chicago Python User Group (ChiPy) with the kind cooperation of the
Computer Science Department at Loyola University of Chicago will be
offering a free introduction to computer programming using the Python
language.

WHEN AND WHERE

Saturday March 25
1 PM - 3:30 PM

Downtown Campus of Loyola University
Chicago IL

This is near Water Tower Place, and near the Chicago and State stop on
the red line.

If you sign up I'll give you complete directions.

RSVP

If you intend to attend, PLEASE LET ME KNOW the name of everyone
attending by noon on Friday March 24. email me at mtobis at gmail dot
com . I'll reply with directions and the room number. Please note that
you need a laptop with Python installed to participate. (see below)

WHO SHOULD SHOW UP

I'm looking for people who would be interested in taking up computing
as a serious hobby. The final impetus to present this was presented by
a father-son team who want to learn to program together. I would
welcome teenagers or adults. Parent/teen pairs are especially welcome.

Children under the age of 13 may attend if accompanied by an adult but
for most pre-teens this may prove too challenging.

On the other hand, professional programmers will find the pace too slow.

You need no coding experience at all, but you shouldn't be unfamiliar
with a computer altogether. A small amount of exposure to HTML would
be helpful.

PREREQUISITES

Because this is totally a volunteer effort, I can't provide you with
any computers. And we want to avoid being bogged down in installation
details. So:

BEFORE SIGNING UP
=================

1) You MUST HAVE OR BORROW A LAPTOP

2) YOU MUST FIND (if necessary download) PYTHON,  version 2.2 or
higher on the laptop

3) YOU MUST put the text

print "hello world"

into a plain text file, AND RUN IT ON THE LAPTOP, producing the output
"hello world".

You will need to figure the above out for yourself or with the
assistance of a more experienced computer user. Unfortunately this may
not be easy for everybody but it's the only way avoid getting bogged
down in boring details.

WHAT WE WILL DO

The first meeting will be an introduction to the power of Python, and
an organizational meeting. By the time you leave you will have written
a small and amusing piece of working software.

We'll also poll the group about your interests, and decide on where
and how often we should meet in the future, and set up some online
communication to keep each other in contact. We will probably meet
every second Saturday.

ABOUT PYTHON

Python is a pure open source language with a remarkable and
enthusiastic user community.

Python is designed to be both accessible and powerful. Most
professional programming work could be done in whole or mostly in
Python, and much of it increasingly is done that way. However, Python
keeps complexity hidden until you need it. This has advantages for
everyone, but is especially useful for beginners.

Python offers you as a beginer the ability to get real useful and/or
fun things done fairly quickly with a modest effort.

Let us prove it to you. Come to our first meeting and see!