[Chicago] Sprint, Imagescape

Atul Varma varmaa at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 21:13:11 CET 2006

On 3/14/06, Brian Sobolak <brian at planetshwoop.com> wrote:
> It seems that we're only a few short years away from the number of source
> code control packages exceeding the usual winner of the game of "Let's
> Rewrite It!", the text editor.
>
> Or is CVS vs {anything} the new vi vs emacs?

Hmm, maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but my
understanding was that SVN beats CVS "hands-down" in pretty much all
respects.  I first ran into SVN a little over a year ago--a client's
CVS repository I had set up was causing some strange problems, so I
tried switching them over to SVN just so they could have a source code
repository that didn't randomly hang.  But I quickly discovered that
SVN was superior to CVS in pretty much every way I could think of...
All the annoyances I'd had with CVS (e.g., renaming directories,
viewing local changes) were solved by SVN, and SVN was much easier to
understand to boot (for instance, doing branches and tags under SVN is
exactly the same thing as copying a folder--you don't have to learn
new mechanisms for them like with CVS).

So if there's a "vi vs. emacs" of the revision control world, my guess
is that it's SVN versus something else I don't know about.  As far as
I can tell, CVS just plain sucks compared to its competition--and for
understandable reasons, given its age.

- Atul