[Chicago] newbie meeting

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 03:17:42 CEST 2006

Almost everybody who signed up showed up. At the last minute, a
schoolteacher said he was showing up with about seven inner city
teenagers, but I headed him off.

A wide variety of skills among the attendees, which made matters
challenginf. Two kids, quite young, under 12 I think, and about a
dozen adults. Not much teen participation, which was interesting and a
bit surprising.

It went well enough that I think there will be more. Loyola almost
freaked out at the last minute, but now seems favorably disposed
toward continuing on hosting this, though this remains unofficial at
present.

Robert Ramsdell showed up, and was quite helpful. I'll greatly
appreciate other ChiPmunks showing up in the future!

So far, we know how to write python code to draw an ASCII diamond
shape like this:

     *
    ***
   *****
  *******
   *****
    ***
     *

That's not as far as I had hoped to go, but everyone genuinely got the concept.

Thanks Robert! Thanks to any ChiPy subscribers who showed up to learn, as well.

mt