[Chicago] Random book notes

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Thu May 4 05:33:35 CEST 2006

Bookpool's current promotion is a sale on APress titles, with "up to
50% off" list prices.  Of course most of them aren't that deeply
discounted - of the top ten bestsellers on their home page, most are
37%, a few 40%, which is a bit better than usual (I think - their
normal discount varies from publisher to publisher).  www.bookpool.com

The other day I got a few things from Bookpool.  The latest "nutshell"
book I've laid hands on is 750 or so pages (exclusive of index), but I
suppose that it's hard to stuff all of Web Design into a smaller
container.  I expect this will be useful but don't expect to read large
swathes of it at any one time.  I do intend to read at least much of
Refactoring Databases's mere 300-ish pages, and expect it to provide
much food for thought about the thorny issue of evolving a web app's
database schema - one issue that Django makes even harder than it would
be without the framework, though I think that's a common problem with
ORMs in general (you have to update both the mappings and the
database's structure - are there any existing ORMs that handle that
well?).  The obvious threat here is that I may start kicking around
ideas for an ORM designed to make data refactoring easier.  And that
would probably end up making my head explode or something...

--
Show me your flowcharts and conceal your tables, and I shall continue
to be mystified.  Show me your tables, and I won't usually need your