[Chicago] PLY talk

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 17:46:29 CEST 2006

I note that the Wikipedia article on PLY is rather disappointing. I suppose
we ought to plan to fix it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ply

There are a number of possible meanings of "writing language X in language
Y".

What I'd like to know about is not so much about how to lex and yacc (though
I could certainly benefit from an intro to that) but more about how PLY
takes advantage of Python to provide something more than conventional
lex/yacc.

I will talk about one of my two Python interoperability obsessions if time
permits, which is to make it possible to write multiprocessor high
performance codes by composing conventional Python objects which themselves
know how to cast themselves into distributed compiled code.

(If I get the floor I promise to limit my ranting about the evils of
Fortran-90 to no more than a single sentence. Please don't goad me on this
point; I am sure it is of little interest to most of the audience. Anyway
http://www.fortranstatement.com/cgi-bin/petition.pl says it better than I
ever could.)

The other, which seems similar to Jason's idea, is to expose
Flash/Actionscript functionality to Python.

On both fronts I have been wondering if PLY would help.

mt