[Chicago] PLY talk

Jason R Huggins JRHuggins at thoughtworks.COM
Mon Oct 16 17:58:31 CEST 2006

Michael Tobis wrote on 10/14/2006 12:04:46 PM:
> btw Irene tells me my S5 slides looked pretty shabby after a Keynote
> presentation. Of course Dave is a hard act to follow but that's OK,
> it's the price I pay for hanging around amazing people. Some CSS
> design fiend really needs to work on those S5 stylesheets, though. S5
> will never looks as good as Keynote but it doesn't have to look nasty.

But if you want your grandkids to be able to see your presentation in 50
years, it's probably better to use a plain-text presentation format like
S5, instead of a binary, proprietary format like Keynote. If you don't
care, then use Keynote...  If only kinda-care*, use Keynote, then export a
copy to HTML (or maybe PDF). I have more faith that HTML parsers and
readers will be around in 50 years than I do about Apple/Keynote.

* I'm in the kinda-care category... so I use Keynote 'cause it's fun and
easy, and save archive copies in HTML for posterity. Assuming, of course
that people will care what I said 50 years ago in 50 years. :-) But I also
have a sneaking suspicion that when archeologists hundreds of years from
now study "the turn of the millennium 2000s"... the only stuff that can
and will get studied and put in museums is the stuff printed on paper...
So print out your S5s on paper, and you're good to go for the next
millennium. ;-)

- Jason