[Chicago] T1 Providers

Kenneth P. Stox ken at stox.org
Wed Oct 25 06:18:41 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 19:19 -0500, Joshua McAdams wrote:
> Does anyone have a T1 provider that they could recommend or any that I
> should be warned about?  My building is considering changing providers
> because we are paying way too much now, but some of the deals seem too
> good for me to believe that there is a decent service provider behind
> them.

Tough question. The major distinguishing factor between T1 providers is
the SLA, Service Level Agreement, and whether they manage/own the
router/dsu/etc. that attaches to their network. Service levels vary
widely, the worst barely being better than a glorified DSL connection,
to the best being paged after a 3 second outage.

What kind of quality are you looking for? Do you want to provide and
maintain a router/dsu? How much downtime can you tolerate in a given
day? How many downtimes can you afford in a given year? You can spend
anywhere from slightly over $300 to well over $1K/month depending on
what you need.