[Chicago] Ed Leafe of Dabo in Chicago.

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Sep 27 22:56:01 CEST 2006

Hi list,

I'm Carl Karsten.  Chicago resident (Niles really) that has just started taking
Python seriously.  for the last 10+ years I have been doing VFP,  which is why I
am on the chi-VFP users group meeting planning group.  have some links:
http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?wiki~CarlKarsten
http://www.chicagofudg.com

Python is very much like VFP, which is why for our (VFPgroup) November or
December meeting (2nd Tuesday) we are looking at having Ed Leafe come out and
show us some Python things, maybe http://dabodev.com.

Here is an example of a talk Ed has done recently:
http://foxforward.net/session.php?topic=16

I know he has shown Dabo at Pycon and there was some interest.  Enough that I
would think other Pythoners would be interested.  Here are some examples of what
he does http://dabodev.com/documentation  - I thought one of his Pycon talks was
there, but I can't find it now.  I'll post if I find it.  He has been doing
talks for years, he is very good at it - power point slides, hand outs,
downloads, etc.

So the point of all this:   it is a $350 plane ticket to get Ed out here.  That
is a bit steep for our group.  In the past, we have done 1/2 seminars and
charged $100 or so (we need to pay for the room too, and like give the speaker
something for their time.)  It worked out great when we had VFP speakers/topics,
not so sure how well it would work for Ed.

What kind of interest is there?  Do you guys have access to a meeting room
during the day?

You are all welcome to come to the vfp meeting (I would only recomend the one Ed
will be at:) - give me a heads up a head of time - the room only has about 20
chairs, it doesn't take much to overflow it.

Carl K