[Chicago] Proposal for a talk this Thursday

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Wed Apr 11 18:19:22 CEST 2007

On 4/11/07, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
> On 4/10/07, Jono <ebjono at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
>
> > Additionally, the topic of more specific user-interface design interest is:
> > * How do we make a zooming user interface that is actually useful for
> > getting work done and not just a gee-whiz demo?
>
> Have something that easily glues information from many different
> sources together and provides context senstivie suggestions for other
> links and provides a way for the user not to get lost in the
> navigation of all that data, and provide a way for them to go back to
> way points in their work flow.

And I would like it if you provided something like this for a software
development project.

So, it should tie in information from all the sources of information I
have to jump around every day, but particularly things I have to jump
around with on a semi-regular basis since those will be more annoying
in that they will most likely fall out of recent memory and require me
to waste more time digging.

Glue together: issue and bug traggers, emails, source repositories,
meta information on source repositors (dependencies, history, etc.),
contact information (wouldn't it be nice if I wanted to know why a
section of code changed while viewing history and the environment
could leap to my fingers with the person's contact information).. but
that's just viewing.

I want to be able to interact with all of this. And this is where
ZUIness would be handly. It would be a whiteboard but at all layers.
Make it a distributed peer-to-peer system so that, for example, for a
code review, we could connect to the repositor and look at diffs and
leave stickie notes on a page that when someone else zooms into that
level they can see the notes from other users.

I have got this in the back of my  mind forever, but never have time
to work on it. It's one of those things that you want to use but it
doesn't exist yet. Or only in pieces. I've asked around and someone
suggested the tools from Smart Bear in Austin at one point. nice, but
not quiet there.

--
sheila