[Chicago] python searching

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sat Apr 14 18:49:52 CEST 2007

I can't be the only one - I think this is a common problem.

I want a one stop shopping version of searching for python stuff.  Like most
users, I don't have any specifics, just some fuzzy annoyance in my life that I
want someone else to fix.  well, I'll try to give some clues.

It seems whatever python related thing I am searching for the process goes like
this:

http://www.python.org/doc/ "Python Documentation"  it has a "search box" but
looking at the html I see: <..."sitesearch" value="www.python.org"...> so it is
searching more than just the docs section.

I click on "advanced search" http://www.python.org/search and get 3 more search
boxes plus some links to other places to search.  None of them let me limit the
search to docs.

http://www.python.org/dev/searchplugin/  "This will install a Python Bugs search
engine in Firefox/Mozilla's Search Bar."  That is the right concept, but I want
to search docs.

Of course there are language docs, standard library docs and a variety of other
docs.

What I would like to see:  a search that aggregates across all of the various
python doc searches.

Ok, I feel better now.  thanks for listening.

Carl K