[Chicago] August Snakes on Apples Meeting

bray at sent.com bray at sent.com
Sat Aug 4 18:44:48 CEST 2007

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:59:28 -0500, "Brian Ray" <bray at sent.com> said:

> I will be presenting on *something* as well. Anybody else?

Ok, I think I found my *something*.  My topic is (drum roll please):

  "Address Book Plugin for syncing with gmail contacts utilizing
  libgmail"

Its kind of neat because it used the Address book that ships with every
new Mac, and has since (I dunno 10.2 probably).  It has a Plugin API for
writing plugins in "C".  Other applications, like Mail.app, share the
address information.

I was trying to get my contacts into gmail one day. It was really
annoying because I had to like export crap, upload crap, etc etc... So
then I recalled that libgmail <http://libgmail.sourceforge.net/> is  a
python package that allows contact management from Python.  All macs
also ship with Python in a form where an application can link
dynamically--called a framework (which is no more than a dylib, which is
much like a .so). Anyway, it will be a neat and maybe useful example of
embedding Python in "C", using Python on the Mac, and hacking gmail.
Source will be available after the meeting.

Because the Python's C-API is the same on all platforms, this may also
be interesting to those of you who wish to embed Python elsewhere. BTW,
I love to embed Python.

Hope to see you all there <http://chipy.org/SnakesOnApples>,

Brian Ray
bray at sent.com