[Chicago] Web Frameworks?

Massimo Di Pierro mdipierro at cti.depaul.edu
Fri Aug 17 14:27:11 CEST 2007

Hello everybody,

as you know I teach web development with Python at DePaul and I would
like to share my views on Django, Turbogears, Pylons, etc.

About the database-access API:

The Django API are better than SQLObjects and SQLAlchemy. They would
be even better if they could take advantage of the “>=” syntax (like
SQLObjects) instead of the __gt syntax. SQLAlchemy goes in the wrong
direction by making life too difficult for the developer. Teaching
SQLAlchemy would be as difficult as teaching SQL. Storm.Canonical API
seems even better than Django's API.

About template languages:

Kid/Genshi are the best. Students know XML therefore Kid is easy for
them. Moreover it is the only template language that forces users to
use write good XML. We teach students that they should use XML for
nearly all web data exchange therefore Kid is perfect.

About Urls and Routes:

I do not like Django urls.py because they go in the direction of
duplicating information instead of forcing users to follow good
practice. For example, if I change name to a controller I also need
to edit urls.py and vice versa; moreover I can have a form action
with a different name than the name of the corresponding controller.
This is very confusing to students. CherryPy and RoR instead enforce
good practice. The ability to match arbitrary URLs should be optional
and specified at the level of the controller (perhaps with a decorator).

WSGI and mod_python:

WSGI is an excellent idea but if it does not work with mod_python it
is useless today. mod_python is faster, easier to deploy, and does
not require advanced Apache knowledge. mod_rewrite is  difficult and
way beyond the scope of a typical web development course.

Forms:

There is a perfect language for creating forms: HTML+CSS! Students
know how to do it. Widgets add too much structure and will never be
as flexible as HTML+CSS. WebHelpers are the best way to go. Pylons
has them but they are not well documented and therefore unusable.
WebHelpers should also generate javascript code for client-based
validation (although this should not be a replacement for server-side
validation).

Debugging

Pylons seems to be better than Django and Django is better than
Turbogears (CherryPy).
Anyway, there should not be a debug ON/OFF setting. There should be a
standard error page that allows login as administrator. If
administrator is logged in he/she can see the debug information. If a
user gets an error page, the error should be logged and the
administrator should be contacted.

Django Generic Views, Turbogears Identity, etc.:

Django generic views are useful and so are Turbogears identity and
registration but, these are optional features. They should be
implemented as a set of advanced API to be used inside the
controller. Otherwise there is too much magic going on.

General design issues:

There should be a single configuration file for the database (that
defaults to SQLlite) and for email settings, like in TurboGears.
Sessions should always be on and should always be file based.
Page caching a la Django is a good idea and should be available as an
optional feature via decorators.
There should be a small set of core API accessible via a single
module. Django, for example, has too many modules and remembering
which contains what is a major task.

The bottom line:

There is too much choice in the world of Pyhon web frameworks (and
too many of them are 0.x) and this prevent us from making the case
for each one of them against the Java dinosaur frameworks.

I have to teach this stuff therefore I can help the Python community
to market their products. So far I have only covered Django in my
classes because it is the only stable one and I was able to get the
United Nations to use it. Nevertheless I am still waiting for the
community come up with a real J2EE killer.

What I encourage you to do:

1)	Keep in mind that too much choice is bad, not good
2)	Do not reinvent the wheel
3)	Keep the API stable, work on improving implementation and
documentation
4)	Have one person in change of usability and one in charge of security
5)	Focus on a single framework (I suggest Pylons + Genshi +
WebHelpers + Django or Canonical ORM) that works with mod_python,
defaults to SQLlite and has sessions on by default. You already have
all the pieces... just put package them well.
6)	Make sure the ORM works with Oracle
7)	Write API for Generic View, Login/Logout and Registration
8)	Write documentation...
9)	Write documentation...
10)	Write documentation...

You make this and I guarantee it will be used in a course at DePaul
in the winter quarter.

Massimo