[Chicago] Web Frameworks?

Brantley Harris deadwisdom at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 18:37:04 CEST 2007

Man I wish there was a professor teaching this stuff at DePaul when I was there.

One thing about the Django ORM API. It uses __gt syntax for a few
different reasons. First, you have to create a special "magic" object
to interact with the ">=" correctly.  In SQLObject you have the
Table.q, SQLAlchemy uses Table.c.  During the magic removal
discussions this idea was explored, but was found to be more
error-prone and just as crufty, e.g. Object.c.date >= date vs.
date__gte=date.  The __ also opens up other functions that aren't
available as operators: date__between=(start, end),
name__icontains='name', etc.

It's interesting to hear your points of view but many seem to come
down to a difference of perspective: practical vs. academic.  A lot of
my choices are made from the standpoint of practicality, i.e. get it
done as well and fast as possible.  Whereas, inevitably, a lot of your
choices are made from the view of academia, i.e. imagine the best way.
 Now, you have the foresight to envision Python as part of your best
way, which I think is great.  But I hope that you pay close attention
to this dichotomy, because I think you'll see a number of differences.
 (Actually it's a trichotomy, practicality, academia, and microsoft,
but I'm not going to go into that.)

Truly if I could infuse anything into my DePaul experience, it would
be more time spent on practical problem solving.  If I could write the
curriculum, most classes would be centered on specific projects that
stretched these muscles.