[Chicago] Web Frameworks?

Adrian Holovaty adrian at holovaty.com
Fri Aug 17 18:48:57 CEST 2007

Hi Massimo,

I try not to get sucked into these sorts of subjective discussions
anymore, but...what the heck.

On 8/17/07, Massimo Di Pierro <mdipierro at cti.depaul.edu> wrote:
> I do not like Django urls.py because they go in the direction of duplicating
> information instead of forcing users to follow good practice. For example,
> if I change name to a controller I also need to edit urls.py and vice versa;
> moreover I can have a form action with a different name than the name of the
> corresponding controller. This is very confusing to students. CherryPy and
> RoR instead enforce good practice. The ability to match arbitrary URLs
> should be optional and specified at the level of the controller (perhaps
> with a decorator).

Decoupling URLs from the code that executes them is a good thing. This
is a deliberate design decision. See the section "URLconfs and loose
coupling" at http://www.djangobook.com/en/beta/chapter03/ for some
reasoning.

> there should not be a debug ON/OFF setting. There should be a standard error
> page that allows login as administrator. If administrator is logged in he/she can see the
> debug information.

Whoa there! Not only is this a security problem, it's a usability
problem. Site users should never be presented a link to "login as
administrator." Could you imagine how ludicrous and unprofessional it
would be if a Google or Yahoo error page, or perhaps your bank's Web
site, displayed a "login as administrator" link?

Adrian