[Chicago] Python at Big Nerd Ranch

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Fri Aug 31 16:13:56 CEST 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 11:42 AM, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     Brian> I saw David Beazley is teaching a class at Big Nerd Ranch;
>     Brian> <http://tinyurl.com/2fzjox>
>
> We have one or more non-programmers on our team (no programming
> background
> at all) who are interested in Python.  Dave's class assumes some
> previous
> programming experience, preferably some O-O and some scripting.
>
> Any suggestions?

You can teach them, Skip!

One thing I noticed, is that some classes (not this one) are suffixed
with "Bootcamp".

There still seems to remain a self-taught atmosphere around learning
to Program with Python.  Certianly, some more progressive and IMHO
ahead-of-their-times educators are teaching Python on a collegiate
level. Although, there still remains some problems with corporate/
enterprises/business teaching and learning Python.

That problem is similar to the other problems with business use of
Python--I so frequently complain about. For starters, business wants
and needs a better high level language.  (I will not mention the
problem with getting good Python candidates and employers together
because I do not want to start another flame war, so ignore I just
said that) Every business seems to already know they need to follow
the popular trend of being more agile.  Still, then do not want to
switch languages ever ten years: from Java to C#, for example. Some
businesses remain blind under the illusion that languages backed by
large business, like Sun or Microsoft, are somehow better.   OTOH,
the big business too see the advantages in the base philosephies of
the open source world--take open sourcing JAVA and the idea behind
Microsoft's CLR, for example.  Python seems to be a perfect fit for
so much, but the dots are not connecting themselves like we often
wish they would.

So, how *do* we make Python classes available for business?  I write
a commercial close sourced app that has a JavaScript API. That's
right, JavaScript. We (before I was part of "We") looked at Python
and it was too hard for the purposes we wanted.  Now, we do offer a
JavaScript class where our clients send people to learn JavaScript.
We have not interest in teaching JavaScript for anything other than
our own purposes...  but, now we have our mailing list where people
end up sharing their JavaScript code. Those business who wish to
collaborate in a open-source-like way, see the benefit already.  I
imagine the same thing would work for Python if we could just get the
right PR and philosophies in the minds of the business types.  Maybe
PyCon will help with this too.

Brian Ray
bray at sent.com
http://kazavoo.com/blog