[Chicago] Restaurant recommendations for PyCon...

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Dec 3 20:10:42 CET 2007

sheila miguez wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 12:38 PM, Ted Pollari <tcp at mac.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 3, 2007, at 10:28 AM, sheila miguez wrote:
>>
>>> Which gives me another idea, maybe we could arrange a wine tasting or
>>> have a wine & cheese BOF (have been to wine/tech BOFs at a conference
>>> before, not bad).
>>
>> You willing to organize it?  I'd love to see it happen...
>>
>> -t
>
> How many people would show up? if not too many I would be willing to
> foot the bill. I think there is some hotel policy that might affect
> our ability to officially bring in outside food.
>
> This means that we'd have to have an unofficial party, right? If so,
> if too many people show up, I can't afford it.

If you give people directions to a nearby liquor store I'm sure a
natural alcohol/person balance can be acquired.

Last year Tummy.com hosted a party during the sprints.  I think they
arranged something with the hotel.  They might be willing to do that
again.  Maybe EWT also hosted something last year?  I think they got a
hotel room and just did it there.

I have no idea how cool the hotel is with people hanging around late and
whatnot.  As long as PyCon isn't providing the drinks or food, and it's
just individuals, I doubt they will care about that part.

If we looked for sponsors, maybe we could actually arrange a real party
at a real venue.  It's not cheap, but I'm sure there are companies
willing to sponsor something like that.

We could also setup a bar hop or something.

At the last Plone conference a nearby hotel had a roof deck and we all
hung out up there.  They didn't even blink when someone borrowed a
luggage carrier to bring up a hundred or so bottles of beer.  But they
were an exceptionally relaxed hotel, I doubt that's the vibe we'll get
at this place ;)  They even let the German guys borrow the conference
room off the entrance to hang out and sing drinking songs.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org