[Chicago] January venue?

Robert Zeh robert.a.zeh at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 03:59:21 CET 2007

On Dec 15, 2007, at 7:03 AM, Brian Ray wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2007, at 8:31 PM, Robert Zeh wrote:
>
>> I might be able to work something out downtown (by the Chicago Board
>> of Trade) with my company  - GETCO.
>

> GETCO is another one of those financial organizations who frequently
> look for Python talent, but are not sure what they are looking for--
> frequently annoying many hard core Python advocates. Bring us in for a
> software engineering job and then telling us its a QA job once we get
> half way through a day long interview ; )  But, I did not want this to
> turn us off..

Argh.  My apologies for the aggravation.  Do you mind if I forward
this on internally at work?  I hate it when these things happen and
feedback helps.

<snip>
> I have been to GETCO offices and met ten or so developers, in
> August.   They have a really nice office space in BOT.  They appeared
> to have a conference room large enough to hold the 20-30 we are
> getting. They guys I met at GETCO, several had some pretty solid
> Python background-esp. in QA testing and build automation (SCONS). A
> couple of guys have attended ChiPy meetings in the past--at Monadnock
> IIRC.  Overall, I pretty interesting group of guys and they probably
> have a lot more to contribute on how they use Python.

<snip>

Thanks for the compliments.  I can't promise anyone will be there
other than (decidedly uninteresting) me, and I can't even promise the
same meeting room.  Actually, I can't promise anything until after I
push for things on Monday --- the date would be Thursday January 10th,
right?  I'll try to send something out Monday night about our hosting
availability.

Robert