[Chicago] January venue?

Brian Ray bray at sent.com
Sun Dec 16 04:48:56 CET 2007

On Dec 15, 2007, at 8:59 PM, Robert Zeh wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2007, at 7:03 AM, Brian Ray wrote:
>

>> On Dec 14, 2007, at 8:31 PM, Robert Zeh wrote:
>>
>>> I might be able to work something out downtown (by the Chicago Board
>>> of Trade) with my company  - GETCO.
>>

>> GETCO is another one of those financial organizations who frequently
>> look for Python talent, but are not sure what they are looking for--
>> frequently annoying many hard core Python advocates. Bring us in
>> for a
>> software engineering job and then telling us its a QA job once we get
>> half way through a day long interview ; )  But, I did not want this
>> turn us off..
>
> Argh.  My apologies for the aggravation.  Do you mind if I forward
> this on internally at work?  I hate it when these things happen and
> feedback helps.

Sure, if you think it will help.  Searching the ChiPy archives, you
will see some solicitations looking for Python talent. Often times
these come from recruiters. The one big problem I have had was trying
to figure out what these jobs entail. I am an employer now and am also
look for talent. Now I feel a bit jaded about working with recruiters
for this reason. OTOH, extremely talented Python programmers are worth
their weight in gold, can be hard to find, and some recruiters do good
legitimate recruiting--others are sharks.

Even on the Trade Industry side, there are different levels of
legitimate. I was just trying to clarify that beyond the HR issues
that may exist everywhere, GETCO seems good.  And the fact that there
is someone there even trying to host, is a really good sign ;)

> <snip>
>> I have been to GETCO offices and met ten or so developers, in
>> August.   They have a really nice office space in BOT.  They appeared
>> to have a conference room large enough to hold the 20-30 we are
>> getting. They guys I met at GETCO, several had some pretty solid
>> Python background-esp. in QA testing and build automation (SCONS). A
>> couple of guys have attended ChiPy meetings in the past--at Monadnock
>> IIRC.  Overall, I pretty interesting group of guys and they probably
>> have a lot more to contribute on how they use Python.
>

> <snip>
>
> Thanks for the compliments.  I can't promise anyone will be there
> other than (decidedly uninteresting) me, and I can't even promise the
> same meeting room.  Actually, I can't promise anything until after I
> push for things on Monday --- the date would be Thursday January 10th,
> right?  I'll try to send something out Monday night about our hosting
> availability.

Didn't you work on Boost? Sounds interesting to me.Yes its the 10th.
I like the idea of finding new and exciting venues. OTOH, I also
really like the places where we have already been.  I would certainly
ask about hosting and get back to us.

Brian Ray
bray at sent.com
http://kazavoo.com/blog