[Chicago] OT: MacBook vs. MacBook Pro?

bray at sent.com bray at sent.com
Thu Dec 27 20:46:46 CET 2007

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:00:50 -0600, skip at pobox.com said:

> I've got a 15" Powerbook G4 that should be retired.  I'm thinking of
> replacing it with a MacBook, but I'm wondering if I'll be disapppointed
> with
> the smaller 13" screen.  The other major difference seems to be in the
> graphics configuration (NVidia GeForce vs Intel GMA - where the Intel
> processor eats up a chunk of main memory instead of having its own
> memory).
> Anybody out there with a decent amount of experience with the two (more
> than
> just fooling around at the Apple Store) with both systems have any
> opinions?
> Bottom line, is the Pro worth the extra $1,000?

Overall, I am quite pleased with the MacBook.

I have had both the MacBook and MacBook Pro.  For most common tasks, I
like the MacBook better. If I were to do some major image or video
editing, I would probably prefer the MacBook Pro.  Both cases, I
upgraded the RAM to 2GB. The Pro had a DVI slot, where I had to purchase
a Mini-DVI to DVI  The only times I have had problem with CPU
performance is when I run Parallels at the same time. I do not do a lot
of image editing on my laptop, but the standard iLife apps seem to
perform well. Photoshop and other Movie editing seems a little slow.

I did upgrade to Leopard on my MacBook and did not seem much performance
differences. If there were any, I think they were positive.

Regards,
Brian