[Chicago] Enso: A Shameless Plug

Atul Varma varmaa at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 00:37:32 CET 2007

On 1/25/07, Brantley Harris <deadwisdom at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a damned cool program.
>
> Yeah, immediately thought: I want a python console with the "Enso"
> look and feel.
>
> Give now.
>
> Thank you.

As Jono said on the tour movie on our website: soon!  This is actually
something we really want to do, because we've been using it for
development ourselves.  And with Enso, you don't actually *need* a
python console, because you can select text anywhere and run an
"evaluate as python" command... So you can essentially instantly turn
notepad, gmail, a blog comment text field, whatever into a python
console.  Add to that things like a "run doctests" command that runs
doctests on your selected text... You get the idea.

Not sure if anyone remembers, but when I gave my presentation on SCons
to ChiPy last year, I presented an example of using SCons to create a
SWIG'd Python module that exposed Windows' layered windowing
functionality to Python.  Someone at the presentation asked, "so have
you actually found a *use* for those layered windows?"

Yeah... we did. :)

- Atul