[Chicago] Yet another ORM for Python

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Jul 10 20:22:14 CEST 2007

David Terrell wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 12:31:48PM -0500, Brantley Harris wrote:
>> I'm not really sure what it adds to the landscape...
>>

> I'm not a big fan of ruby, but the RoR method of interrogating the
> database seems vastly superior to the java-ish "define all your
> database columns in code even though we don't have a good method
> to apply changes to the database when you change your code" method

FWIW, SQLObject has had this for a long time now, and I think SQLAlchemy
kind of has it (though since it's not the ActiveRecord pattern exactly,
there's no clear analog).

But usually you need to tweak at least some columns on the application
side, and at that point you start having part of your persistence logic
in Python and it starts feeling incomplete.  So it seems like everyone
ends up moving to having everything in Python, since at worst you just
need to enumerate your columns.  But then SQLObject has never been as
committed to this model as RoR, so maybe they've spent more time making
that model pleasant.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org
             : Write code, do good : http://topp.openplans.org/careers