[Chicago] How do you troubleshoot cgi errors?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jul 23 19:56:48 CEST 2007

David Rock wrote:
> * Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> [2007-07-23 12:28]:
>> It's actually a tee for any kind of object.  Any method that is called
>> gets called on all the sub-objects (self.files in this case).  It only
>> returns the return value of the last object, but for files you write to
>> there's no meaningful return values anyway.  Similarly it doesn't handle
>> attributes, since it treats everything like a method.
>>
>> The __getattr__ method is called when the object has no other attribute
>> -- i.e., if you call obj.foo, then obj.__getattr__('foo') is called (if
>> the object has a __getattr__ method, and no foo attribute).  When you
>> call obj.foo(x), then obj.__getattr__('foo')(x) is called.
>>
>> In ReplStdOut whenever you call obj.anything, you get a function back.
>> When you call that function, it gets subobject.anything from every
>> subobject, and calls that with the arguments you pass in.  The function
>> it returns is called a "closure", because the function object remembers
>> the value of "self" and "attr" even though they aren't explicit
>> arguments to the function.  That's all a closure really is -- a function
>> that remembers some extra values.
>
> Wowsers.  I'm gonna have to chew on that one a little bit.  I really
> like it, though.  I don't suppose you have any ideas of where to look
> for further reading on the concepts, do you?

I guess there's a bunch of pieces.  There's getattr(), which you can
read up on here:
http://www.diveintopython.org/power_of_introspection/getattr.html

I don't see a lot online on __getattr__.  Huh.  Maybe that's why I
encounter so many people who are surprised about it.  The reference docs
for that are here: http://python.org/doc/current/ref/attribute-access.html

For first class functions you might look at Dive Into Python's
functional section:
http://diveintopython.org/functional_programming/index.html

For closures I'm not sure... some of the material out there is really
more complex than it needs to be.  Maybe just reflect on this, the
simplest of closures:

   def make_returner(return_value):
       def returner():
           return return_value
      return returner

   x = make_returner(1)
   y = make_returner(2)
   x()
   y()

But I dunno.  There's a lot of debate out there about closures,
functional programming, etc, none of which illuminates the issue.  So
try not to get distracted by that stuff.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org
             : Write code, do good : http://topp.openplans.org/careers