[Chicago] August Snakes on Apples Meeting

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Jul 31 21:22:30 CEST 2007

Brian Ray wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2007, at 10:46 AM, Martin Maney wrote:
>
>>> Your thoughts?
>> That's too trivial to bother with.  Unnecessary platform dependence is
>> for dodos,
>
> Well, Yes and No. There certainly exists the argument that each
> platform has things it does distinct to the others. And doesn't
> "Batteries Included" imply the ability to have access to as many
> things as possible?
>
> Yes, I want to write platform independent Python. Although, I do not
> want to loose access to anything platform dependent either.

If the task being solved with some python code involves something platform
specific, I don't think there is any point in discussing the pros and cons of
independence.   like making an iPhone cry out for attention when it hasn't been
touched in over an hour (something that would help keep me from loosing it.)  If
'import iPhone' only works on an iPhone, i don't see a problem.

Carl K