[Chicago] Erlang Envy, was Re: Stackless

Pete pfein at pobox.com
Wed Jun 6 00:26:36 CEST 2007

On Tuesday June 5 2007 5:03 pm, Kumar McMillan wrote:
> On 6/5/07, Pete <pfein at pobox.com> wrote:
> > [3] At some point, I want to implement a Queue-like API on HTTP with
> > REST-like semantics. See
> > http://grassyknoll.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/grassyknoll/plaza/MailBox.py
>
> This service looks sweet:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_fe_c_1_3435361_3/103-7783872-94
>04628?_encoding=UTF8&node=13584001&no=3435361&me=A36L942TSJ2AJA

Oh, yeah, I've been "inspired" by SQS/S3 quite a bit too.

> A huge challenge in decoupled SOA environments is sending a message
> somewhere with a 100% guarantee that it doesn't get lost (when taking
> rapture into consideration, 99.999% is usually acceptable).  This is a

A good quote on reliability (2nd)
http://patricklogan.blogspot.com/2007/04/systems.html

> *lot* harder than it sounds.  For business applications, it starts to
> make the cost of Amazon SQS look cheap ;)

I like & use AWS quite a lot (all those http://pfein.s3.amazonaws.com/ urls
are on S3). It's fine for personal use, backup, maybe serving static content
& large files (they have BitTorrent seeding support, IIRC).

Speed & esp. latency is an issue though.  And the AWS network bandwidth charge
is expensive.

Peter Fein   ||   773-575-0694   ||   pfein at pobox.com
http://www.pobox.com/~pfein/   ||   PGP: 0xCCF6AE6B
irc: pfein at freenode.net   ||   jabber: peter.fein at gmail.com