[Chicago] Chicago visit

Brady Cox bradyc at google.com
Fri Jun 8 00:50:02 CEST 2007

Things To Ingest Whilst In Chicago:

Deep Dish Pizza - You want to visit Giordano's, Lou Malnati's, Gino's East,
or My Pi (it's a pi symbol on the sign)  Other suggestions are welcome.
Chicago Style Hot Dog - since I don't normally eat these... people please
speak up.
Italian Beef - Mr. Beef, Buona Beef, Portillo's, Suggestions Welcome
There are also a lot of Gyros places around that are good.  Generally these
are small mom & pop establishments.

On 6/7/07, David Goodger <goodger at python.org> wrote:

> I just read through all the messages on the "Suggestions for things to
> see in Chicago" thread last month, and noted the many possibilities.
> Thanks everyone!  This would be a great start for a PyCon/Chicago
> "what to do" wiki page (hint, hint).
>
> One suggestion in particular struck me as a great way to see many
> aspects of the city in a limited time, and have geeky fun too: City
> Segway Tours [1].  Thanks to John Chaves for the idea.
>
> A 3-hour tour [2] costs $70.  I'm going to make a reservation for the
> 10am tour on Saturday July 21, and I'm inviting people to join me.
> Even Chicago natives may be interested.  I know that I don't feel the
> need to visit the landmarks where I live, always thinking "some other
> time".  But some other time rarely comes.  Perhaps this is the time?
>
> The tour meeting point is 400 East Randolph Street, "just across the
> street from the northern edge of Grant Park".
>
> After the tour we could get some Chicago grub.  I've heard you have
> good pizza and hot dogs.  Any suggestions on the quintessential
> Chicago eatery?
>
> What do you say?  Does anyone want to join me for the Segway tour &
> lunch, or just lunch in the city?
>
> -- David Goodger
>
> [1] http://www.citysegwaytours.com/chicago/
> [2] Tour details:
>
> http://www.citysegwaytours.com/chicago/segway-tour/chicago-segway-tour.shtml
>

> On 5/23/07, David Goodger <goodger at python.org> wrote:
> > On my way to OSCON in July I will visit the Crowne Plaza hotel in
> > Chicago, the venue for PyCon 2008 (& possibly 2009). I'm staying for 2
> > nights. I'll arrive in the morning on Friday July 20, tour the hotel
> > that afternoon, check out Chicago a bit on Saturday July 21, and
> > depart early Sunday morning.
> >
> > I'm preparing a checklist to cover with the hotel staff. Please
> > suggest topics to discuss and things to check while I'm there.
> >
> > If anyone in the Chicago area would like to meet on the Friday evening
> > or Saturday, please let me know. How about a ChiPy get-together?
> >
> > Suggestions for things to see and do would also be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > David Goodger <http://python.net/~goodger>

Brady Cox
Google Chicago DTA
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four
sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln