[Chicago] Python for XP?

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Thu Mar 8 20:10:22 CET 2007

So I'm having this itch that I think I could scratch with some help
from our favorite snake, but it involves Windows, about which I strive
to know as little as necessary <grin>.  What I'd like to do is be able
to run a program I'd write in Python on an XP machine; the program and
whatever support it needs not to require installation, but neither do I
need (nor particularly desire) the all-in-one bundle that I understand
py2exe is all about.  Think of this as running from a flash drive -
plenty of space for a tree of stuff, but it needs to run from that
mounted-not-installed filesystem.

So far everything I'm finding seems to reauire the usual Windows
install that wires choice bits into the syste, or at least the
registry.  I guess it would be acceptable if running this left some
cruft behind in the registry - it's 90% cruft anyhow, yes? - but it
would be better if that weren't necessary.

If you're not laughing yet, for a truly ideal solution I'd like
something I can setup on that flash drive without needing Windows.  :-)

Thanks, and try not to hurt yourselves rolling around on the floor like
that!

--
Some people hack for fun, some because they want things their way;
some don't because they can't, and some because they can't be bothered.