[Chicago] Not-python

Feihong Hsu hsu.feihong at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 15:09:00 CET 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:02:30, Atul Varma wrote:

> Out of curiosity, why can't games written in IronPython run on the
> 360?  Can they not be compiled to standard .NET assemblies?  Or
could
> one make a .NET assembly that trivially embeds IronPython and runs
> Python program (kind of like py2exe does for Windows)?
>
> - Atul

There is a way to compile IronPython code directly into an executable
(this probably does something like embed the IronPython engine).  But
there is no way to create an assembly that is usable from other .NET
languages.  Embedding IronPython doesn't work because the .NET
Compact Framework is missing some necessary features.  Specifically,
the System.Reflection.Emit namespace is not available.

BTW, there is another requirement for the 360 that I failed to
address, which is that you have to compile with the XNA GameStudio
Express (this is not a requirement for PC-only games).  This means
that you need to create a C# project in XNA GameStudio and then load
your DLL written in Boo, F#, VB, or whatever other .NET language you
like to use.

- Feihong