[Chicago] equipment in storage

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Mar 12 02:22:43 CET 2007

sheila miguez wrote:
> On 3/11/07, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
>> Chris McAvoy wrote:
>>> I put a hold on a space at 9700 W. Irving Park Rd (very close to the
>>> hotel) for a 5 x 10 x 8 space (it was the closest they had to the 6 x
>>> 6 suggestion).  It's $63.70 / month, $23 for the first month.
>> So $700ish plus shipping plus hassle (mainly the shipping/receiving).
>>
>> I understand the need for a staging area right before the conference, but other
>> than the 40 power strips, what is in the 10-15 boxes?  Wondering if it worth the
>> $700+?
>
> pros:
> Multiple people can have access to the storage facility. less of a
> bottleneck for getting to stuff than if it was stored at someone's
> house. (Not even sure how much of a chore it is to arrange times to
> meet with someone to pick up stuff. Maybe not much.)
>
> The storage facility will accept shipments, right?
>
> cons: $

I thought Carl was perhaps proposing that shipping some of the materials
isn't really worth it.  Though I think there's also a bunch of wireless
routers which probably are worth keeping.  We also have to judge not
just the value of buying the materials, but also the effort of buying
materials.

*But*, if just the routers and some other pieces are particularly
valuable, maybe it could all go in a big box and go in someone's
basement at least for the next 6 months or so before we start collecting
actual stuff for next year -- if nothing else, that makes the shipping a
lot easier, since we'd have an actual person on the other end to accept
shipment.  And stuff like power strips could just be donated to a Dallas
area school or something.