[Chicago] equipment in storage

Brad Allen brad at allendev.com
Mon Mar 12 07:52:48 CET 2007

Chris McAvoy wrote:
>  I put a hold on a space at 9700 W. Irving Park Rd (very close to the
>  hotel) for a 5 x 10 x 8 space (it was the closest they had to the 6 x
>  6 suggestion).  It's $63.70 / month, $23 for the first month.

This seems a bit on the pricey side.I think the Dallas storage was
about $35/month, so we may want to leave them here for a few
months to save money.  I will check with the Dallas facility to
verify the pricing I remembered.

At 9:28 PM -0500 3/11/07, Kenneth P. Stox wrote:
>1) I hope you are looking at climate controlled storage. While it might
>be possible in Dallas, the weather up here will play havoc with stored
>equipment. Corrosion due to condensation can do a lot of damage to
>connectors and circuit boards.

The wireless access points are the only delicate equipment. Maybe they
should be separated out and kept at someone's home.

At 7:51 PM -0500 3/11/07, Carl Karsten wrote:

>I understand the need for a staging area right before the
>conference, but other
>than the 40 power strips, what is in the 10-15 boxes?  Wondering if
>it worth the
>$700+?

I missed out on the packing of those boxes, but I know a good part of the
bulk is made of network cables, two tripods, wireless access points,
and many long heavy duty extension cables. There is probably other
stuff I don't know about.

(if anyone inventoried the box contents please speak up)

One of us in the Dallas group is going to have to visit the facility again
pretty soon to box up the large power strips, and I will make sure we get
a better count on the actual number of boxes and a better idea of their
actual contents.

At 8:22 PM -0500 3/11/07, Ian Bicking wrote:
>And stuff like power strips could just be donated to a Dallas
>area school or something.

Don't underestimate the time, cost, and hassle required to re-purchase
and gather  "stuff like power strips".  Believe me, you're better
off not having to re-gather everything from scratch.

Those four foot power strips alone cost over $800 and Jeff spending
six hours in customer service hell at Fry's Electronics so he could
get the advertised discount price of $20 each.

What remains to be seen is the shipping cost to get this stuff to
Chicago. We are investigating bulk shipping options ('palletizing')
and should have a better idea soon.