[Chicago] XO Sprint requirements?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Mar 13 21:59:52 CET 2007

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> What are the hardware requirements for the proposed XO Sprint?  I'm a Mac
> user and my only Linux laptop is a very long-in-the-tooth Dell Inspiron
> (450MHz?) running Ubuntu.

Intel Macs work fine with qemu, and probably VMWare.  I think VMWare is
substantially faster.  Your laptop would be fine if you were running all
the code natively, but under emulation it might be a bit slow to work
with.  But I'm not sure -- I've only really used qemu (which is
slowish), but VMWare is supposed to be quite a bit faster.  At native
speeds a 450MHz computer should be fine.

Since we'd all be working in virtual environments, we don't necessarily
need to be using personal machines.  Also pairing can work well in sprints.