[Chicago] XO Sprint requirements?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Mar 13 22:11:04 CET 2007

Chris McAvoy wrote:
> On 3/13/07, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
>> Since we'd all be working in virtual environments, we don't necessarily
>> need to be using personal machines.  Also pairing can work well in sprints.
>>

> I liked the idea you mentioned at the meeting for mounting an NFS
> share from our work machines (or vice versa) where we'd actually edit
> the code, then execute it on the image, rather than working inside the
> image.
>
> Sadly, bittorrent is blocked at work, so I'll fool around with the
> Gentoo image at home.
>
> Virtualization rules...total aside, but really...we live in the future.

I haven't tried the newest images at all -- they have a 303 stable
build, apparently:
http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/streams/development/LATEST-STABLE-BUILD/ext3/

If you want to try to boot this in VMWare you could try this.  Use alt-=
to get the console, and the root user has no password so you can just su
- to get that.  Then yum install nfs-server (I think?) and go from there
if you are familiar with NFS.  If you could mount the image's computer
with VMWare reasonably easy, that'd be awesome -- I failed with image
239, but I think some improvements have been made since that build.
Doubly great if you could do Samba too.  (I think to use VMWare you have
to get qemu to convert the image -- there's instructions somewhere on
wiki.laptop.org, I think.)

If anyone tries this and succeeds or fails, please report back here with
what you did.  At least qemu (and probably VMWare) automatically save
your progress in the image file, so make a copy so you can start fresh
if you mess up.  Then if you get all the pieces together, you could
potentially just distribute that new image.