[Chicago] Chicago visit

Atul Varma varmaa at gmail.com
Wed May 23 22:21:18 CEST 2007

On 5/23/07, David Goodger <goodger at python.org> wrote:
> If anyone in the Chicago area would like to meet on the Friday evening
> or Saturday, please let me know. How about a ChiPy get-together?

Count me in.

> Suggestions for things to see and do would also be appreciated.

Hmm, this might be cause to start a wiki page as a guide for
Pycon-goers next year, but perhaps it's easiest to start with this
email thread and copy things over later.

If I had to recommend one single thing for visitors to see in Chicago,
it'd be the
the Chicago Architecture Foundation's Historic Skyscrapers walking
tour [1].  I specifically recommend this over the CAF's more popular
River Cruise because you actually get to go inside buildings and
interact with the tour guide (the walking tours consist of 10-30
people, the boat tours are massive and the tour guide talks through a
loudspeaker).  I'm normally not a big fan of guided tours, but the
Historic Skyscrapers tour is a notable exception and provides a great
multi-disciplinary introduction to the city from historical,
engineering, and artistic perspectives.

If you like the Historic Skyscrapers Tour, their Modern Skyscrapers
Tour is a natural follow-up [2].

- Atul

[1] http://www.architecture.org/tour_view.aspx?TourID=73
[2] http://www.architecture.org/tour_view.aspx?TourID=7