[Chicago] MIT to switch to Python for intro to CS courses.

Catherine Devlin catherine.devlin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 17:41:31 CET 2007

I take it back!  I was wrong, wrong, wrong!

It appears 6.099 was only a preliminary designation for the class -
it's been renamed 6.01, and it's definitely Python.

http://courses.csail.mit.edu/6.01/fall07/software/

6.01 is the cornerstone class for the new curriculum for all EECS
classes 2011+ (i. e. freshmen who entered this Fall).  The preceding
year, students could choose between the old curriculum and the new
6.01-based one, but not this year.  In fact, the EE students take it,
too - 'cause it's robotics programming.  Sounds fun!

http://www.eecs.mit.edu/ug/newcurriculum/SBCS_6-3.html

Well, this is exciting.  I'm blogging it.  (I kind of hate to see the
Scheme version go, b/c it didn't deserve to die until every Java-based
intro to programming course around the world was gone and buried, but
Python will be good for the students *and* good for the science.)

--
- Catherine
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com/