[Chicago] PyCon looking for basic Python talks

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Tue Nov 13 16:47:50 CET 2007

Now is the time to submit a PyCon proposal, or three.

I would really like to see various angles on general Python, both tutorials and
talks (which should be scheduled first thing Friday.  maybe even Thursday
evening too.  both for programmers and an "intro to programming tutorial"
(tutorial so we can drop it if it isn't going to fly.)  Maybe even stuff that
into Wednesday for the django tutorial attendees that need to learn Python
(common django support problem.)

Here are some specifics.

Basic Python - a subset of the core language elements.  Cover the import
command, but don't cover any modules.  scope, lists vs tuple...  that stuff,
but don't cover lambda and other things that would make someones head explode.

Python for Java programmers  (Hello Mark!)

Under the hood of Python -  or what ever you want to call the interaction
between = and __eq__() and all the other things listed here:
http://docs.python.org/ref/customization.html

Python's Dark Magic - the pros and cons of messing with __magic__()

There are lots of programmers in Chicago that don't know Python, so many of them
won't bother going to a python conference.  Some will will come anyway and walk
away still not knowing python.  I don't expect anyone to make them an expert,
but I think a quick run through of the basics can do a lot.

If you have an idea, but don't think you can actually do a talk, add your idea
to http://us.pycon.org/2008/conference/CorePython and maybe someone else will do
the talk.

If you are inspired to talk for 30 min or so:
http://us.pycon.org/2008/conference/proposals/

Or if you want to go on for hours:
"Tutorial presenters will receive $1000 per tutorial, plus free conference
registration." http://us.pycon.org/2008/tutorials/proposals

Please pass this on to anyone you know who might be interested, or who might
pass this on.  And post it to your favorite mail list.  Kinda like those
annoying chain letters, so sing the spam song - it will make you feel better.

Carl Karsten