[Chicago] Help with PyCon Talk Proposals

Feihong Hsu hsu.feihong at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 06:02:27 CET 2007

I suggested "Python for C# programmers" because I am part of the C# community, and have a good understanding of how C# syntax and concepts map to Python. However, I didn't come directly from C# to Python, my language progression has been C++ -> Java -> Smalltalk -> Python -> C#.

I don't know if there have been any "Python for Java programmers", if so then there is some precedent for this talk. The problem as I see it is that I honestly can't imagine many of my coworkers coming to PyCon. Sure, I talked 13 of them into a full-day Python tutorial (thanks, David Beazley!), and they liked it well enough, but they might stop short of attending a conference about it.

But I do think that C# programmers will be an ever-increasing source of new Python programmers, because of how hard Microsoft is pushing IronPython. Also, C# programmers definitely care about integrating between Python and C#, they would be unwilling to just go whole-hog Python. This year in particular has seen a lot of progress in terms of CPython integration with both .NET and Mono. IMO, the choices for integration between Python and C# are much better than Python and Java (it doesn't help Java's case that Jython still hasn't caught up to Python 2.4 yet). There are a lot more ways to sell Python to C# programmers than this time last year.

To summarize, I think there's not a lot of interest coming from people in my own company, but maybe the topic is timely, given recent advances. It would help me to know if anybody else has an opinion on the amount of interest this talk might garner.

- Feihong

Chris McAvoy <chris.mcavoy at gmail.com> wrote: On Nov 13, 2007 2:05 PM, Ted Pollari  wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Chris McAvoy wrote:
>

> > --. although it's a good idea in general, I'm not sure it would be
> > good for Pycon, as most Pycon attendees are already Python
> > programmers.
>

> I completely disagree!  I think you're as likely to see people from
> the Chicago tech sector significant with C# experience and only
> modest python experience... if they see a talk like Feihong described
> above as they're contemplating registering, they may be more inclined
> to coming or talking their boss into sending them.   Making it the
> topic for a tutorial would be even better in this regard... IMHO, of
> course...

Hmmm.

I don't know if I'd trust this Ted Pollari character.  Does he even
live in Chicago?

That's a good point.

I'll give it one +.

Two +'s is out of the question.