[Chicago] Help with PyCon Talk Proposals

Feihong Hsu hsu.feihong at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 04:55:46 CET 2007

I didn't realize people still want more material on Unicode. What are the issues that people still struggle with? Or maybe I should ask, what didn't I cover well enough in my original Unicode talk?

Actually, I've always felt the Unicode support in Python was really good, at least in comparison to other languages/platforms like Ruby and Smalltalk. And Python 3 will only make things in this area even better. However, I do have a suspicion that people will continue to have issues with UTF-8, the BOM, language encodings, etc., even after Python 3 has been widely adopted. They will just be somewhat different issues than now. It would be awesome if someone who has been playing around with the Python 3 alpha could anticipate these issues and give a preemptive talk on them.

- Feihong

Kumar McMillan <kumar.mcmillan at gmail.com> wrote: On Nov 13, 2007 2:43 PM, Chris McAvoy  wrote:
> As a total aside, you're also a really fun speaker Feihong.  Remember
> that Unicode talk?
>
> You should consider submitting a Unicode talk.  Last year, there was
> only one (that I know of) and it was standing room only.  Unicode is
> something everyone needs to deal with at some point, but few really
> want to do a deep dive.

last Pycon's unicode talk wasn't very good at all.  I actually walked
away from it more confused.  But it was very popular because unicode
is easily *the* most annoying thing about Python and the hardest thing
to wrap ones head around.  However, something to consider is that
unicode will change so drastically in python 3 so I'm not sure how
relevant a talk will be.  It will be more relevant at this Pycon than
2009 Pycon, that's for sure!

Kumar