[Chicago] Announcing new programming group

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Oct 8 04:26:55 CEST 2007

John Quigley wrote:
> skip at pobox.com wrote:
>> Similar to Tech Coffee the past two summers?
>
> Similar in flavor, though I've never been to a Tech Coffee (too early
> in the morning for me).  My long-term intention is to transform this
> into a group that has more structured meetings, in addition to the
> sprints.
>
> I was operating the Chicago Lisp group for a time, and we tried
> valiantly to get that off the ground, but there were simply too few
> folks.  I would like to build from that though, with perhaps monthly
> meetings where our members give presentations about any topic of
> computer science that they think others may enjoy.  I'm working on an
> advanced computational continuations presentation that we could maybe
> use as the basis for a first structured meeting.
>
> That's all in time though, I want to get a feeling for the interest
> first.

I was thinking just recently that it might be cool if we had like a
little code workshop; something where people could show some code they'd
been working on (small chunks of code), and maybe talk about some design
problem they had with it, open it up for discussion, etc.  Sounds
perhaps a little similar.  Or, we could have programming exercises.
Implemented in any language.  That could be a fun group thing.

I think the Ruby group here has tried programming exercises, but I
haven't seen anyone mention them lately (I haven't gone lately either);
so I'm not sure if they are still doing that or if it worked.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org
             : Write code, do good : http://topp.openplans.org/careers