[Chicago] [OT] Is it just me ...

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Oct 10 02:34:42 CEST 2007

... or is my poor old laptop having to work harder and harder to just "surf
the web"?  This AJAX technology has permeated everything.  On the one hand,
web sites can clearly be more interactive.  On the other hand, the minimum
system parameters necessary to simply browse the web seems to have gone up a
lot in the past six months or so.  I have an 800MHz PowerBook G4 w/ 1GB of
RAM, not state-of-the-art of course, but not a P3 either.  Just sitting
there viewing Gmail (which has no stupid flashy ads or other eye candy)
seems to consume about half my CPU.  What's it doing while it's just sitting
there?

Does this have any ramifications for OLPC with its rather modest CPU?  What
about computer recycling in general?  Browsing the web and reading email
(often through the web) seem to be the most common uses for home computers.
if I donate a compuetr to some organization what are the chances it will
actually be useful to someone?

Skip