[Chicago] Help on One Page Python Flyer

Cosmin Stejerean cstejerean at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 00:21:39 CEST 2007

Maybe this will help, my top two reasons for using Python are:

1. ipython (enhances the python shell and makes programming awesome. i
haven't seen anyone not impressed by ipython)
2. list comprehensions [(customer.name, customer.email) for customer in
customers if customer.member_since > 2000]

Also, curly braces do mean something in Python( a = {} )

- Cosmin

On 10/18/07, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:

> Feihong Hsu wrote:
> > I've been working for a while now to get the other programmers at my
> company more interested in Python. I think management is warming up to the
> idea, so next Friday we'll have an all-day Python training course.
> >
> > During the lunch break the programmers who couldn't do the course will
> have the chance to come into the cafeteria and help us eat the extra food. I
> would like to make a one page Python flyer that they can read while they're
> munching on free food. Has anyone done anything similar to this? What kind
> of stuff should I include on it?
> >
> > We do have a "Why Python" page on our internal wiki, though I think it's
> kind of lame (I should know, I wrote it). But it's basically all I have that
> as a starting point for my flyer. I'll paste the text below for people to
> critique and comment on.

> > Other "Why Python" Articles
> >
> > A lot of smart people have written up their reasons for using Python,
> and I bet a lot of them are more well written than this one.
> >
> >     * Beginners and Experts by Jono DiCarlo
> >     * Why the DLR and What is Python Used For? by Michael Foord
> >     * Python Answers by Bruce Eckel
> >     * Type import this into the Python interpreter to read the "Zen of
> Python".
> >
> > Python Facts
> >
> >     * Python is mature, it's been around since 1989, it has a huge
> standard library that covers most common programming tasks.
> >     * Python is dynamically typed, that means there are no type
> declarations.
> >     * Python uses indentation for blocks of code, the curly braces {}
> don't mean anything in Python.
> >     * Python is a dynamic language, it doesn't need a compiler because
> everything is interpreted.
> >     * Python's interactive interpreter lets you run individual lines of
> code and immediately see what they do.
> >     * Python integrates with .NET.
> >
> > Who Uses Python
> >
> >     * Morningstar
> >     * Google
> >     * Microsoft
> >     * Cisco (IronPort - internet security)
> >     * O'Reilly
> >     * Hewlett-Packard (Tabblo - photographic storytelling)
> >     * Canonical (makers of Ubuntu Linux)
> >     * VMWare (virtualization)
> >     * Sony Imageworks (state-of-the-art visual effects and character
> animation)
> >     * EWT (securities trading)
> >     * ...and many more!
> >
> > Interesting Projects Coded in Python
> >
> >     * Trac - Software project management and issue tracking.
> >     * Review Board - Code reviews are fun again! ...almost.
> >     * Bazaar - Distributed source control system.
> >     * BitTorrent - Please, I know you know what this is.
> >
> > Python Projects That Are Making a Difference
> >
> >     * OLPC - Free laptops for children in third world countries
> >     * Chicago Crime - Browsable database of crimes reported in Chicago
> >     * The US Congress Votes Database - Browse every vote in the U.S.
> Congress since 1991.
> [...]

Cosmin Stejerean
http://blog.offbytwo.com