[Chicago] Open Source Time Donation?

Ted Pollari tcp at mac.com
Thu Sep 6 19:11:04 CEST 2007

On Sep 6, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Brady Cox wrote:

> Yeah, I don't think Open Source Software is exactly the same thing
> as a charitable organization... although I've been wrong before.  I
> guess it depends on if the project managers have worked the system
> and set it up as one or not.

It's an interesting idea though -- setting up Open Source projects as
non-profit corps and selling companies on contributing coding time as
a tax deduction.  I have no clue how easy it is to setup a non-
profit, but I gotta believe that if you had an open source minded
attorney something could be done easily/cheaply and hence be done for
more projects.  If that was made as a central selling point, I gotta
believe that some companies would be more keen on giving person-time
(not to mention capital support) to OS projects.

-t